Wednesday, March 24, 2010

wingin' it part ii

Eureka, I got it!

So, after trying all these programs, I am willing to declare that Javafoil is king, at least for my application. Profili comes second, losing out to Javafoil due to cost, and inability to rotate or flip an airfoil. The main disadvantage of Javafoil is the small number of foil families available. Profili offers clearly the best airfoil family browsing tool.

Javafoil is in my opinion the best tool for a visual (read not real or working) F1 car due to the ability to make quick precise changes of many different parameters. If you already know what the airfoil looks like and you want to make a scale copy drawing, use Javafoil. Did I mention free?

Special kudos to the Airfoil Investigation Database at http://www.worldofkrauss.com/

So, how did I do this?

After much deliberation searching though the airfoil database in Profili, I selected an airfoil. It wasn't the right one, but after a whole bunch of tinkering, I found the shape I was looking for. I went to Javafoil and created my airfoil by trial and error, know some basic parameters. I copied the point data into MS Excel. After some calculations relating to size and location, I imported these coordinates to my CAD program. I then created a spline connecting the points. Finally performed a "pad" on the spline and we have a front wing!

Tools:
Profili
Javafoil

Here is my hand drawn wing profile:


And the clearly superior Javafoil creation:


Total: 260h

No comments:

Post a Comment