Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I did it!

This was a great success, I modeled the car out of "gąbka florystyczna" or styrofoam used to make floral displays.

First, I had to make a tool. I bought a cheese cutter


And a really thin guitar string. The wire that was already in the cheese cutter was too thick and not wound taught enough


Took off the guide




Removed the wire that came with the cheese cutter. Here you can see how much thinner the guitar string is.


Reassembled the cheese cutter with the guitar string as the cutting element


Cut out my templates. Then I cut little "x"s in them and stuck toothpicks through them


And affixed them to the styrofoam block


Then, I cut the block. Even with the guitar string it was difficult. I think that this tool would work better if heated


Here's the shape from the top


And voila! I used clay sculpting tools to remove material very slowly and smooth out the curves
















So the styrofoam proved to be an excellent material for sculpting. Only problem is that it is very coarse, and it will not mold in it's current condition. I will need to coat it with something to make it smooth so that it can be molded.

Total: 68 h

No comments:

Post a Comment