Wednesday, November 9, 2011

F1 car design in Catia V5 xxii

I believe I am headed towards a redesign.

Up until I got to the cockpit the blog probably read a bit like a tutorial. I had gained experience developing this shape over a couple months of time and was working on a redesign of lines I already had, to simplify the model. I need to figure out what to do with the cockpit and how to incorporate this into the overall design. Seems to me the whole thing is getting way too complicated anyway.

Also, I've discovered recently the junction command and I think I could use it to improve the quality of my surfaces in a couple places.

Specifically, I think I can do way better here:


I'm not quite sure how I missed "junction" before, maybe it's new to the version of the software I recently upgraded to.


I quickly tossed together this wireframe to get a better idea of what junction can be used for.


Click on junction


Now I suppose I can either use the lines next to surfaces, or I can use the guidelines as the profiles to junction. I think I should use those adjacent to surfaces to activate tangency or curvature continuity?



Interesting to see the results. Unfortunately there is no way to control the tension of the tangency nor curvature continuity.

I wonder what it would look like if these were my starting shapes?


Very interesting



Alright, the cockpit

I'm questioning the rationale behind the contour of this line. I think I might try to treat the airbox opening as a separate feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment