Tuesday, November 22, 2011

F1 car design in Catia V5 xxiii

Ok, I mentioned before that I thought I was headed towards a redesign, so here it is. Took a bit of a break to do the damper, now it's time to look at the monocoque again.

Somehow I feel like I'm not taking a systematic enough approach to this. It really shouldn't be so complicated. I think the wireframe I have so far is good, but I'm a little lost on how to further build on it. So lets keep the lines I've got.

Up to this point, I think I'm pretty good


I do have some ideas here though.

If I want the sides of the top and bottom of the monocoque to match up, I think I should be able to make a sweep of the side guidelines, and then make the guidelines of the multisection surface curvature continous. Better to show what I mean.

The highlighted line was used in a combine to make an upper monocoque guideline.


So I think I should be able to make a sweep of this, and the combined guideline should lie on it


So how about making it symmetrical


And then make all the multi-section surfaces have a curvature continuous support on this sweep


Now do it on the underside as well



Now I think after having done that, there should be no weird transition between the top and the bottom



Ok, so far so good. I still like the idea of connected the monocoque top and airbox next. Except this time, without cutting the cockpit out of it, and without all the joins all the time.

Good so far.


I also like the idea of putting the top and bottom of the nose together, so I'll do that as well


Ok, monocoque sides.

I organized everything a bit better, but it's all essentially the same up until this point


How about a juction?

First thing is, split the back part



Extract edges


Split the extract by the relevent 3d guide.


Join and smooth the extracted edges, so that there are two profiles


Junction


Now I've got to put it all together

In a new geometric set, I'll offset a couple of guides


Then project them on the junction


Split the junction


Now I'm going to do a couple fills


Split the whole thing in half


Split view from above


Hide the splitting plane and make all symmetrical


Join all

No comments:

Post a Comment